Frequently Asked Questions


 Do I need a building permit and where do I apply for one?

No person or business shall cause any building or structure to be erected, constructed, reconstructed, converted or substantially enlarged, extended or raised, or moved onto any premises within the city limits of the City of Gregory, unless the application for building permit is approved. Building permits are available at the city finance office or can be downloaded from our site. Click below for the fee schedule, which is based on the square foot valuation of the building project.

 What is the security deposit requirement for water service?

Water users shall pay to the city a deposit of fifty dollars as security for the payment for the use of water, and shall not be entitled to the use of city water until such deposit is made. This deposit shall be refunded to said users at such time as the use of water is discontinued.

 When is City Hall open?

The Gregory City Hall is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., except for federal holidays. The office is closed from 12:00 p.m. to 1:00 p.m. over lunch hour.

 Where do I apply for a dog or cat license and under what conditions is the issuance?

To help insure the safety of your dog or cat should they ever become missing and to comply with the City of Gregory ordinance, Gregory residents are reminded that all dogs and cats more than six months old and kept within the Gregory city limits, are required to have a yearly license.

Each owner of a dog or cat shall pay a yearly fee of $15.00 for each dog or cat and also furnish a certificate showing the animal has been vaccinated for rabies. The license can be purchased at the Gregory City Hall, 120 W 6th St, Gregory, SD from the Police Department.

Call the Gregory Police Department at (605) 835-9638 for further questions regarding dog and cat licenses.

 When is my water and sewer bill due?

All water and sewer bills shall become due the first of the month after the reading of the water meter, and if not paid on or before the fifteenth of the month, a ten percent penalty will be added to the bill.

 Can I pay my water/sewer bill online?

To make an online payment, click here to PAY UTILITY BILL. A convenience fee will apply.

 Do you accept credit card payments?

Yes, the City of Gregory accepts payments by credit card.

 If I plan to do any digging, whom do I call to get utilities located?

You call South Dakota One Call, 811 (In-state) or (800) 781-7474.

 What are the hours of operation for the Gregory City Tree Dump?

The Gregory City Tree Dump is located 1.5 miles south of Gregory and is currently open from November 1 to April 1 on Saturdays only from 1:00 to 5:00 p.m. If you have further questions, call city hall at (605) 835-8270.

 Where is the nearest driver exam station?

For the Gregory Area, the Driver Exam Station is located at the Gregory County Courthouse, 221 E 8th St, Burke, SD 57523. Click here for more information about the South Dakota Licensing Program.